25 April, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday: Seraphina by Rachel Hartman

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine in which bloggers post books they are eagerly anticipating to be released. Without further ado, here's mine:

Seraphina 
by Rachel Hartman
To Be Released July 10, 2012
Random House Children's Books

Four decades of peace have done little to ease the mistrust between humans and dragons in the kingdom of Goredd. Folding themselves into human shape, dragons attend court as ambassadors, and lend their rational, mathematical minds to universities as scholars and teachers. As the treaty's anniversary draws near, however, tensions are high.
Seraphina Dombegh has reason to fear both sides. An unusually gifted musician, she joins the court just as a member of the royal family is murdered—in suspiciously draconian fashion. Seraphina is drawn into the investigation, partnering with the captain of the Queen's Guard, the dangerously perceptive Prince Lucian Kiggs. While they begin to uncover hints of a sinister plot to destroy the peace, Seraphina struggles to protect her own secret, the secret behind her musical gift, one so terrible that its discovery could mean her very life.
In her exquisitely written fantasy debut, Rachel Hartman creates a rich, complex, and utterly original world. Seraphina's tortuous journey to self-acceptance is one readers will remember long after they've turned the final page.
I'm looking forward to this book because it looks like a new take on some good old dragon fantasy.  Sometimes I think there are too many dystopian or paranormal books coming out lately and I want to give this book a go! I don't think the cover is particularly exciting, but it does remind me of some classic book covers so perhaps that's a good thing. What do you think of my pick this week? What are you waiting on?


1 comment:

  1. I saw this one on NetGalley! The cover doesn't really pull me in, but once you read the blurb... WHOA.

    Thanks for sharing!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments! I really do read every single one and I strive to respond to each comment that needs a response (and many more!).