29 October, 2012

Review: Slated by Teri Terry

Series: Slated #1
Genre: Dystopian
Format: Paperback
Published: May 3, 2012
Publisher: Orchard Books
My Rating: 4/5 Stars

Kyla’s memory has been erased,
her personality wiped blank,
her memories lost for ever.
She’s been Slated.
The government claims she was a terrorist, and that they are giving her a second chance - as long as she plays by their rules. But echoes of the past whisper in Kyla’s mind. Someone is lying to her, and nothing is as it seems. Who can she trust in her search for the truth?  - Summary from Goodreads

My Review

In future Britain where the reining political party pardons the criminal youth by wiping their minds and replacing them back into society, Kyla finds herself awake. She's been relocated into society, given a new name, new parents, a new sister, and expected to make progress reintegrating into regular life as a teenager. But what lurks in her past that made her become slated? Memories that make no sense start to come back to her, and she tries to make sense of them before any one notices that she isn't like all the other slated children.

I quite liked Kyla. She was innocent due to her brain alteration, yet somehow I knew she was a survivor. The other characters were all quite good and definitely moved the plot along, I'm just not sure there was anything particularly unique about them other than the girls who hated Kyla. I quite liked their stories. What really had me reading was the hope of finding out more about Kyla. I was glued to the pages and can safely say that Teri Terry has an abundance of writing talent that won't disappoint.

Overall, I really thought this was a great start to a fantastic new dystopian series. It has the suspense, the intrigue, and the interesting overbearing society! I am eagerly awaiting the second book, and I would recommend it to those who like dystopian. If you don't usually go for dystopian books, I'm not sure if this book is for you.

Find Slated

Find Teri Terry:



1 comment:

I love receiving comments! I really do read every single one and I strive to respond to each comment that needs a response (and many more!).